I was jealous of my colleagues' chili yesterday ... turns out there is
an IP-friendly recipe.Just Plain ChiliMakes 4 servingsIngredients
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (or buffalo, or elk, or....)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp cumin, or to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, or to taste
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- Light coals in grill. While coals are setting (30-45 minutes), form ground beef into large patties.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed soup pot, and add freshly ground black pepper.
- Add bell pepper and saute 5-7 minutes. Turn heat off and stir in minced garlic.
- Grill patties over coals until medium rare, no more than 5 minutes on each side.
- Turn heat on high under soup pot, and place patties in with garlic, oil, and pepper mixture.
- Break up patties into small pieces with spatula and brown meat thoroughly. Add tomatoes.
Mash and break up tomatoes with spatula.
- Add enough water to cover all ingredients, reduce heat to low, and let simmer 2 hours or more.
ALTERNATE (AKA, what I'm going to do):
Brown meat. Cook peppers and garlic. Throw everything in crock pot and let simmer.
Verdict: Quite good. I subbed jalapeño for some of the green bell pepper and cayenne for some of the chili powder, but I like my chili to bite back a bit. Also, it needs to be salted before serving.
Recipe from here