Baked Eggs in a Portobello Cap
- Portobello mushroom caps
- Black pepper
- Fresh parsley or thyme
- Olive oil
- Clean the portobello mushroom caps with a damp cloth. Remove the stem and scrape out the gills so you have a well deep enough for the egg.
- Rub a little bit of olive oil on the outside of the mushroom to help it cook and keep it from sticking to the pan. Arrange the caps on a baking sheet.
- Crack each egg into a small bowl and then carefully slide it onto a mushroom cap.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and fresh herbs of choice.
- CAREFULLY place the baking pan into the pre-heated 375°F oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. The amount of time required depends on how thick your mushrooms are and how done you like your eggs.
Verdict: Meh. Still don't care for fungus, and I had a hard time cleaning out the gills, which damaged the caps beyond their usefulness as egg cups.
Recipe from here